Northwest Valley Connect acquires accessible van

Northwest Valley Connect acquires accessible van

September 20, 2016
|
0 Comments
|

West Valley, AZ

vanNorthwest Valley Connect (NVC) is pleased to announce that is has accepted delivery is a new 2016 BraunAbility accessible van. Volunteer Rich Greene, who serves as the nonprofit’s Fleet Manager, said, “This is a welcome addition to our fleet and allows us to accommodate the wheelchair-bound population that needs our transportation services.”
The vehicle is a new 2016 Dodge van equipped with the special mechanics of BraunAbility, a 40-year-old company that has pioneered in the field of mobility vehicles for the wheelchair population. Mr. Braun’s innovations were spawned by his own immobility, a diagnosis of spinal muscular atrophy that left him unable to walk by the age of 15. Today BraunAbility employs more than 1000 employees who are designing and producing mobility mechanics that have changed the world for those with limiting disabilities.
“Our vehicle was purchased with a 85% federal grant,” said Kathy Chandler, Executive Director of Northwest Valley Connect, “that was administered locally by the City of Phoenix and the Maricopa Association of Governments. The remaining 15% had to be a private match and this came from the Wulkan Foundation and friend Beverly Wulkan.”
Wulkan, a civil engineer and transit expert in her own right, found the missions of her foundation and that of Northwest Valley Connect to be quite compatible. “Helping seniors find options to their transportation needs is a comfortable match to the one of the core values of our own charity,” noted Ms. Wulkan.
Calls to the NVC Call Center continue to grow and have more than doubled so far in 2016. “We are so grateful to all our talented and dedicated volunteers,” said Chandler. “We couldn’t function without them. Both those that work the Call Center and those who drive their own vehicles are the life-blood of this organization. They all help us provide the ‘gift of mobility’ to the seniors who depend on us.”